How to Watch YouTube Videos with Friends on Discord in 2022
Following Google’s recent crackdown on popular Discord music bots, namely Groovy and Rhythm, Discord has introduced a new feature that lets you watch YouTube videos with members of the server. Dubbed Watch Together, the feature is a convenient way for Discord users to start a YouTube co-watching experience without too much hassle. In this article, you will learn everything you need to know to use Discord Watch Together to stream YouTube videos on Discord.
Watch YouTube videos with friends on Discord (2022)
Before we begin, I would like to point out that Discord’s Watch Together feature is gradually being rolled out. Discord hopes to make Watch Together available on all servers by the end of October. So if you don’t immediately see the feature on your Discord server, be sure to check back in a few weeks. With that out of the way, let’s get started!
Set up Discord Watch Together
1. Join a Discord voice channel on your server and look for the new rocket icon next to the screen sharing icon.
2. Click on the rocket icon and you will see the option to start a new ‘Watch Together’ session. Unlike what you see in the image below, you won’t see games like Poker Night and Chess in the Park on your server. This is because these games are not fully released yet.
4. Then you will see another pop-up to authorize Watch Together. Click ‘Allow’, and you’re ready to start an official YouTube party on Discord.
Join YouTube Watch Party on Discord
1. If you want to join an existing YouTube watch party on Discord, just open the server, hover over the voice channel and click ‘Join the activity‘.
2. You can also invite server members to the watch party. To do this, click the “Invite to activity” button from the lower left corner of the screen.
3. From the invite screen, you can search your Discord friends or copy the activity invite link and manually paste it into the chat.
How to Use Discord Watch Together
Now that you know how to start and join a YouTube watch party on Discord, take a look at how to use the feature.
1. When you start the YouTube co-viewing session, you will see three sections: a search box, trending videos, and a thumbnail preview of participants.
2. In the search field, you can search for the YouTube video you want to watch with your friends on Discord. Here you also have the option to directly paste the YouTube link of the video you want to watch. From the search results page, click the ‘+’ icon to add videos to the queue.
3. By default, the creator of the Watch Together session in Discord will have the remote control. With the remote control, you can control video playback, pause video for everyone and select and browse videos. Changes you make here will sync and apply to everyone watching with you.
Now you must be wondering how to share remote control while watching YouTube videos in Discord? If you want to share the remote, turn off the toggle under the video queue. It will change from red to green.
4. It is important to note that everyone can select and browse the video when you share the remote. However, no one (including you) will be able to interrupt the video for the group. Also, the video quality preference is out of sync in both cases.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Will I see ads when watching YouTube videos on Discord?
Yes, you will see ads when watching YouTube videos on Discord.
Q. Will Discord Watch Together have ads if I have YouTube Premium?
From now on, YouTube will show you ads on Discord even if you have a YouTube Premium subscription. This is because there is no login mechanism at the moment.
Q. Can I watch YouTube videos with friends on mobile Discord?
No, Discord Watch Together is currently limited to the Discord app and desktop web client. You can, however, try to use the feature from a web browser in desktop mode.
Q. Why can’t I see Watch Together on my Discord? server?
Discord is gradually rolling out Watch Together to all servers. You should get the feature by the end of October this year.
Q. Can I stream Netflix movies and TV shows on Discord?
Yes, it is possible to stream the best Netflix movies and TV series on Discord. You can check our linked guide to stream Netflix on Discord, but note that the feature is not officially supported.
Stream YouTube videos to Discord
That brings us to the end of our guide on how to stream YouTube videos with friends on Discord. The only downside here is the presence of ads. It will be interesting to see if the developers of Discord and YouTube team up to create an authentication method that allows YouTube Premium users to watch videos on Discord ad-free. In the meantime, be sure to check out these cool Discord bots and add them to your Discord server.