In a first, the Indian government bans 22 YouTube channels for spreading false information
The Indian government on Tuesday blocked 22 YouTube channels for spreading false information. Of these, 18 were India-based channels while 4 were Pakistan-based.
The Indian government’s Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has blocked 22 YouTube channels for spreading misinformation about India’s national security, according to the government statement..
The statement also noted that this was the first time YouTube channels had been blocked under the new 2021 IT rules.. In addition, three Twitter accounts, a Facebook account and a news site were also blocked in India.
According to the ministry, these channels used TV news channel logos and fake thumbnails to mislead viewers. The ministry added that it described the fake content shared by these channels.
Read also : YouTube claims creators contributed ₹6,800 Crore to Indian economy in 2020
“The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, using emergency powers under the IT Rules 2021, issued orders on 04.04.2022 for the blocking of twenty-two (22) news channels based on YouTube, three (3) Twitter accounts, one (1) Facebook account and one (1) news website Blocked YouTube channels had a cumulative audience of over 260 crores and were used to spread fake news and coordinate the disinformation on social media on sensitive topics from the perspective of national security, India’s external relations and public order,” the statement read.
Using models of real news channels and anchors, these YouTube channels allegedly spread fake news.
The full list of blocked YouTube channels in India:
- ARP News (Total Views: 4,40,68,652)
- AOP News (total views: 74 04 673)
- LDC News (4,72,000 subscribers and 6,46,96,730 total views)
- SarkariBabu (2,44,000 subscribers and 4,40,14,435 total views)
- SS ZONE Hindi (Total Views: 5,28,17,274)
- Smart News (total views: 13,07,34,161)
- News23Hindi (Total views: 18,72,35,234)
- Khabar online (Total views: 4,16,00,442)
- DP News (Total Views: 11,99,224)
- PKB News (Total Views: 2,97,71,721)
- KisanTak (Total views: 36,54,327)
- Borana News (Total views: 2,46,53,931)
- Sarkari news update (total views: 2,05,05,161)
- Bharat Mausam (2,95,000 subscribers and 7,04,14,480 total views)
- RJ ZONE 6 (total views: 12,44,07,625)
- Review report (Total views: 3, 43, 72, 553)
- Digi Gurukul (Total views: 10, 95, 22,595)
- दिनभरकीखबरें (Total views: 23,69,305)
Read also : YouTube app on Android and iOS makes watching videos easier with new UI refresh
Channels from Pakistan that have been blocked on YouTube:
- DuniyaMeryAagy (4,28,000 subscribers and 11,29,96,047 total views)
- Ghulam NabiMadni (Total views: 37,90,109)
- HAQEEQAT TV (40,90,000 subscribers and 1,46,84,10,797 total views)
- HAQEEQAT TV 2.0 (3,03,000 subscribers and 37,542,059 total views)
Have you watched any of these YouTube channels to consume information? Let us know in the comments below. For more in the world of Technology and sciencekeep reading Indiatimes.com.